Hi reader. It’s been awhile. I won’t make excuses except for that I’ve been enjoying some Colorado sunsets:
Oh, and I’ve been taking some cake decorating classes – the Wilton one at Michael’s, which was totally fun, but actually a lot of work. Once I get better, I’ll post some then and now pics.
Now that another great holiday is upon us, I have a recipe to share. I have to admit, this one isn’t totally tweaked for high altitude modifications yet, but I love the taste. That’s a great start, and I really like where this is going.
Red, white, and blue whoopie pies! Well, Red (Velvet), white, and blue(berry) whoopie pies…totally yummy! If all of these make it to the BBQ tomorrow night before Floyd has a meltdown and eats them all, I’ll be surprised. 🙂 Guess what – also super easy.
Red, White, and Blue Whoopie Pies
adapted from Chocolate Sandwich Cookies
- 2 boxes of red velvet cake mix
- 4 eggs
- 2/3 cup of vegetable oil
- 1 8 oz package of cream cheese, softened
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1 pint blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 325
- Mix the first three ingredients together. Roll into 2 inch balls and place on a cookie sheet with parchment paper. I found that 6 cookies at a time worked the best because these spread for me. They stayed as a rounded shape when I gave them plenty of space.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Allow to cool on the cookie sheet before moving to the cooling rack.
- Once cookies have cooled, combine cream cheese and confectioners sugar until smooth and spreadable.
- Spread mixture on cookies and add blueberries. Top with another cookie to make the sandwich.
Sooo, mine turned out flatter than I would like. I’ll definitely be trying this again to try to get the fluffier version of these cookies. I’ll post an update once I’ve mastered this to let you know about the high altitude modifications.
Until then, enjoy the finished product for now:
Happy 4th! Stay safe!
***OH MY GAWD! I take it all back. These cookies are perfect. No joke. Do you remember those Little Debbie Oatmeal Cookies that you used to have last week in elementary school? These cookies are the EXACT consistency of that. I can’t wait to try this with other cake mixes…imaginations are running wild over here. Strawberry cake mix and margarita filling? Spice cake with an apple filling…I am thinking there is more to come. 🙂